5.09.2011

Rudy

For some time now, Big A has been asking to take horseback riding lessons. I have to say that I wasnt all that excited about it, not because I wouldnt love for her to learn, but because I have heard that it can be, well, expensive. I know all kids activities are costly nowadays, but I feared that horseback riding would drain my wallet moreso than, lets say, the church choir.



So, before I put any money towards this little endeavor, I called in a favor to a good friend. She has a horse, Rudy, and agreed to let us come spend some time at the barn so Big A could see if she really wanted to learn how to ride a horse.



We met her horse, Rudy, who was peaceful, patient and gentle the entire time



His momma knew how to talk to him to calm him down, and was great with instructing the kids to not stand behind him so they didnt get a hoof to the chin (honestly, this was something I had not given any thought)



as soon as I saw A's face as it neared her turn to ride, I figured that she had called my bluff on the whole horse deal and her interest in horses was really legit after all.



she did a great job and rode like a champ...even allowing my friend to lead her in a trot.



Little C got in the action, too. Even though she is smiling in this photo, she quickly decided that her time would be better spent creeping around Rudy's stall to see where he sleeps.







Rudy's barn mate is Slew...who is a descendent of Seattle Slew (and I'm not going to pretend to know which race or races he won). Apparently, Slew inherited his good looks from his family, but not the quick legs.

(did you know that horses had whiskers?? I totally did not and think they are hilarious!)

Thank you Rudy & family for a wonderful Mother's Day morning...it set the tone for a great day. We are ever so appreciative of your time and for letting the girls explore and learn.



(in case you are wondering how this all turned out, Big A has not stopped talking about Rudy. I found a local farm that has introductory classes that are very reasonable, and wont break the budget. She turns 8 this week and we figured lessons would be the perfect gift for her...)




Sweet Shot Day

17 comments:

  1. I'm sure she's going to be so excited about her lessons! A friend of mine rode all throughout school and college. As she became older, she volunteered to clean the stalls (I think the term is called "muck"?) in exchange for riding time. So if this is something she becomes passionate about, there are definitely things she can do to help the financial cost :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Great shots and sweet post!

    Happy Belated Mother's Day!
    Jill
    Who has an almost 9 yr old who never stops talking about riding lessons - too bad for her I'm seriously allergic to horses. Too bad for me we live in HORSE country! Hmmmm what's a mom to do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you tried it and are going to participate : ) It will be even better than the church choir! I do love her expression as she saw the horse up close and personal. SO cute. The boys and I go riding in the summer about once a week. They love it. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are just fabulous! I love the close ups of the horses and you captured your girls on the horses beautifully. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww - these are such great captures. What a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you arranged a "test drive" for her and saw how much she really wanted it. :) You are one awesome mommy!

    These are awesome photos, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These shots are fantastic, a really wonderful photodiary of your day, I love the close up on the horses nose, and the angle of the pic, of your little one taken from the horses withers. I rode my entire childhood and adored it, I hope to get back to it soon. I hope that your little one will really enjoy her lessons. Nics

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful shots!! love the last shot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...these are some amazing shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great series. Who knew about those whiskers? I love the anticipation of riding shot-her eyes are fantastic, the sneaking into the barn shot, and that early shot with the variety of reigns/bridles (I'm so NOT a horse person). Hope she enjoys the lessons-and you have enough $$ for a little coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos, every one! :) My parents thought my interest in horses was "just a phase" but it hasn't worn off in all my 37 years so I think not. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow great photos and awesome she loved it and is going to take lessons, how fun I always wanted to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures! What a fun activity too!!

    Tamar

    ReplyDelete
  14. What little girl doesn't love horses? Get ready to be spending some big bucks on lessons. :)

    Awesome pictures. I really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it is a wonderful gift for her. She looks like she was having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is what almost every girl are dreaming. She will be so happy for the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always had dreams of owning & riding horses into the sunset. Your little girl is quite a lucky one! Love these pictures, too. I could look at horse pictures all day long.

    ReplyDelete